Monday 30 November 2015

5 Tips for Healthy Curly Hair from Dry & Damage

Curly Hair
Curly Hair

Hey guys! Welcome back.

So today we’re going to talk about 5 tips every curly girl should know. So I asked my friends on Twitter and Facebook, what secrets they can share that they wanted me to talk about in this article and if you guys didn't know about it, make sure you follow and like my Facebook page.

It's awesome, you guys can share your tips and ideas on what I need to do. So I asked the girls over there. Across the board, hands down, moisture. So what you need to know about curly hair is, for the most part, curly hair tends to be dry. So our goal as a curly girl is to retain and add moisture.
So, moisture, moisture, moisture. That's like, a real aspect. Moisture.

There are 5 quick and simple tips that you can implement into your regime. Regimen. Whatever.




Water
Water

Curly tip #1: Water

Our hair needs water to maintain elasticity, or ability to stretch without it, our hair feels dry and produces a snappy kind of breakage.


Water is the greatest thing on earth. It's so important to hydrate your body with drinking water. So that's an easy thing you can do. Skin needs water. The hair needs water, it's like a plant. You gotta make sure you water it. Because if you don't it dries. And that's the cause of--you know those crazy split ends, not just like... not just the two strand split, like, the FIVE strand split? You know, the ones with the hole in the middle of your hair? A lot of that is water moisture. So the simple solution for that is putting water in a spray bottle. And what I like to do is mix this bad boy up with leave-in conditioner. 1 part leave-in conditioner, 2 parts water. And before I go to sleep, what I do is I spray my hair, I put it in sections, you could do it before you go to bed, you could do it in the morning. But you need to get that water in your hair.

Conditioners
Conditioners

Curly tip #2: Conditioners

Moisturizing conditioners are key to any healthy hair regimen. They add nutrients your hair needs for length retention and health.


Curly tip: Deep Conditioners
Things to look for in deep conditioners are fat, nutrients your hair needs and slip which allows for easy detangling without damaging the hairs cuticle.

I've been making deep conditioning treatments here at home.  Leave-in conditioner. Leave-in, leave-in, leave-in.

Curly tip: Leave- in Conditioners
You want water based leave-ins fats, things that attract moisture to your hair and possibly a little detangling support from light silicones or oils. Heavy oils should be avoided in leave-in conditioners

The water opens the cuticle up to receive nutrients. So a leave-in conditioner like this one. There are so many out there. Use the one that works for you. I love Kinky Curly. My hair just gets to suck in the good stuff, and life is all good. Leave-in conditioner, BFF.

 

Oils
Oils

Curly Hair tip #3: Oils
Oil Molecules repel and do not mix with water. Applying oil to the hair coats it and traps the moisture that is inside in and the moisture that is outside. Out if you use oils without a moisturizer (or before one) the oil will seal the moisture out of the hair strand and lead to a coated feel and eventual dryness. Fighting hair breakage and achieving moisturizing success is all in the order in which you apply your Products.

Once you have your leave-in conditioner in, you need to seal it. I use coconut oil. Oils will seal the hair--it will seal all the good nutrients in, so it doesn't come out. Use your favorite oil. I love coconut oil, it's so great in detangling my hair and making it shiny. You might not want to use a lot of this if you have thinner hair, if you have fine hair. There are other oils out there, there's Moroccan oil, aragan oil, jojoba oil. There are so many oils out there. Again, you gotta experiment and explore. And for me, my hair likes the coconut oil.
 

 
Protective Hair Styles
Protective Hair Styles

Curly Hair tip #4: Protective Hair Styles

Protective styling is just that! These are styles that protect the hair shaft and ends of the hair from rubbing, splitting and being damaged by the elements. Examples of protective hairstyles include braids, twistouts and buns.

Protective hairstyles. OMG. protective hairstyles, especially in the winter and summer when it's really hot. Now protective hair style means the hair is bunched together. Why is that protective and how does that help my curl? Curly hair is the most fragile state hair can be, because it's all loose, individual strands. Once your hair is together. Like, bunched up like so, it's sturdier. 


You know that whole saying, 'united we stand, divided we fall'? That kind of applies to your hair. Because when you think about it--when the hair strands are all by themselves, they're more prone to being like... snagged, attacked by the enemies. It's just, they're all out there.

All together, it's protected by the barrier of the united forces--so yeah. Protective hairstyles rock.  



Satin Pillow Case/ Silk Headwrap
Satin Pillow Case/ Silk Headwrap
Curly Hair tip #5: Satin Pillow Case/ Silk Headwrap


I can't tell you how important it is to have a satin pillowcase. Because the satin is smooth. (inaudible) it doesn't tug on the hair. It also doesn't suck out the moisture from your hair, unlike a cotton pillowcase, likes to... Suck moisture, suck out the oil, suck all the nutrients from your hair. And if you can't find a satin pillowcase or whatever the case is, you can use a silk headwrap. 


Doesn't have to be real silk. But you know, that stuff--use this going to bed. I only use silk headwraps when I have my hair in braids. Because it comes off so easily in my sleep. So that's why I like the pillowcase because I can toss and turn, knowing that that pillow is not going anywhere. Simple and easy. What I do want you guys to walk away with is this: embrace what you have. Improve what you have.
 

It is so... I think, counter-productive trying to have what some other girl has. 'Cause there's been so many times when I've seen a curl and I'm like, 'that's what I want.' But then I had to come to the realization that that's what she's got, this is what I have. Let me work with what I've got. And yeah. It's all about embracing what you have, improving what you have. And... keep it curly. Keep it curly. Less heat! OMG. Less heat. And towels.

It's all about the t-shirt movement. So towels have like, these little nubs. And these little nubs apparently like to pull on your hair and cause frizz. I was using a towel forever. Now I use my skirt. This skirt I got from Salvation Army. I don't know like, $2. And it's super cute, but I don't wear it, so I use it as a towel. Like so. That's a lot of tips. But easy tips. Things that we may not have discussed. And that's about it.


Thanks and websiteonhealth will see you soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment